Okay, I know Easter was yesterday, but let’s chat about my childhood Easter weekend memories.
In my family, Easter preparation began weeks in advance.
- Weeks before Easter, we received speeches at church to memorize. My mom always opted for us to get longer speeches. 😩🤣
- In addition to learning the speeches, there was a rehearsal for the Easter play and lots of the traditional Easter songs, such as, “He rose, yes he rose… “I know it was the blood” and so many others!
- The Saturday before Easter, we had more rehearsals and the Easter egg hunt. I was always searching for golden eggs with money. 😂 Additionally, I would stack up on Easter goodies because my beloved Auntie always made us bomb Easter baskets! Honestly, she can run those back. 👀
- There were 7 girls in the house. Our hair was pressed with a steaming hot comb or permed the night before. My mom said it was the hair grease, but I’m sure she burnt my ear and head a few times with the hot comb.😩
- Easter Day began early – depending on if our church had a sunrise service. Easter attire included a new dress, Payless finest shoes, ruffled Easter socks, and a cute purse. To top it off, I loved when my older sisters did my hair because it included front bangs and my edges were freshly laid with brown gel. 😂😂
- Once at church, there was Sunday school, the regular morning service, and then festivities after church.
- We usually went home to eat a nicely prepared Sunday lunch and then came back to church at 3 or 330 for the Easter program. The most important thing was you could not get anything on your clothes all day, you needed to stay clean. 🧐
Sigh, those were the days!
What is your favorite Easter memory?