Have you ever had to have a conversation with someone about something that was not pleasant? I’m sure some people even cringe just reading the title of the blog – but just know there’s a growth opportunity in the conversation.
I’m sure we all had those moments when we had to discuss something with a family member, a co-worker, a friend, an associate, a manager, etc…
How do you navigate those conversations?
As someone who’s had to have several of these conversations, while they can be challenging at first, they become easier to handle.
You may not believe this, but I used to be the person that could go 0 to 100, it’s not my proudest moment. 😩 But, I’m thankful to God for his saving grace! 🙌🏽
Below, I’ll share the steps I’ve learned on my life journey I take to prepare for conversations – I like to refer to them as growth conversations now! So while I may still get a little nervous before a conversation, I feel so much better after I share my heart with someone.
My Top 5 Growth Conversations Tips
- Check your heart and make sure the conversation is rooted in a place of love.
- Pray about the conversation.
- Discuss or role-play the conversation with a trusted non-biased friend if needed.
- Ask open-ended questions that are not accusatory of the other person.
- If needed bring in a nonbiased third party and also be prepared to listen.
Share any tips you have for growth conversations!
“The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying: “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with Loving kindness I have drawn you.”
Jeremiah 31:3 NKJV